1) The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.
2) North Carolina’s largest slave holder in 1860 was a black plantation owner named William Ellison.
3) American Indians owned thousands of black slaves.
4) In 1830, there were 3,775 free black people who owned 12,470 black slaves.
5) Many black slaves were allowed to hold jobs, own businesses, and own real estate.
6) Brutal black-on-black slavery was common in Africa for thousands of years.
7) Most slaves brought to America from Africa were purchased from black slave owners.
8) Slavery was common for thousands of years. It was part of the human condition. Conquered peoples were often the spoils of war and forced into a life of slavery. Therefore, it is likely whatever color your skin, some of your ancestors were slaves.
9) White people in America ended legal chattel slavery, because black lives mattered.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.